Wednesday, June 16, 2010

An early Spiritual Warning System

I have been thinking about how I can better teach and preserve my childrens spiritual experiences and how I can help encourage a testimony. This talk given by Elder Bednar last April was an answer to my prayers.

He said an early spiritual warning system consists of 3 components.

1. Reading and talking about the book of mormon daily and spontaneously.

2. Bearing testimony spontaneously as occasions present themselves-I already do this fairly often, but could definitely do it way more- what a brilliant and lasting way to teach!

3. Teaching them to act, not to wait to be acted upon. Being doers of the word and not hearers only. To me, this means to teach them to find out truths for themselves, not waiting to be taught, as well as standing up for what is right.

I am so grateful for Elder Bednar, he always seems to speak to my soul. I am posting these three principles to my refrigerator and putting them into effect immediately!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

Elder Bednar came to Okinawa last year and it was amazing. Instead of giving the usual talk, he had a Q and A session. We could ask any question we wanted about church doctrine or ANYTHING and he was giving awesome responses like what you posted. Your post made me think about his visit and what he taught so thanks!

Laurie Wilcox said...

How crazy! I just read that talk the other day! I always love what he has to say. We felt so spoiled in MI because his youngest son was in our ward. We got to see him on two different occasions and also do the Q and A session. It was amazing to hear his inspired responses. He so obviously has the spirit. The second time he came because his son and daughter-in-law had their baby blessed. I thought it was really neat because he spent his time teaching the kids in the primary. That just goes to show that he really does practice what he preaches! What a great blessing for the kids! Love ya!

Debbie and Bobby said...

ME TOO. I KIND OF THINK OF HIS HAS MY APOSTLE SINCE HE WAS OUR PRESIDENT AT RICKS TOO :O)